My exercise demons

Yes, I spelled that right. I don't have demons to exorcise, I have exercise demons. I'm terrible at getting myself up and going, and I've always been that way. That's why, after gaining the freshman *cough* my first year in college, I walked-on to the swim team. Nine practices a week got my tushie in shape and ensured I'd be staying healthy(ish - my diet wasn't great) and fitting into my clothes. After college, I had my wedding to get ready for almost immediately. After that was when my waistline, thighs, and pretty much everywhere else started to bulge. Before getting pregnant with Adrian, I actually managed to lose 20lbs through a combination of being more active (taking the stairs, free weights) and a better diet. I have Eating for Life to thank for much of that - it's a great book to change your philosophy on food, and contains a meal planner and some healthy recipes.



But then I had a baby. And, you know, life gets in the way. I've never been a gym rat, past NCAA-athlete status aside, and even paying for a membership hasn't gotten me to go with any regularity. I know I need to be working out. Working a desk job, plus a long commute, lead to a fairly sedentary lifestyle. I hate running, I stink at trying to do TV exercise, and basically unless someone is standing over me with a whip I have a lot of trouble finding the motivation to work out. I wish it weren't that way.

So I'm writing this post with the hopes that it will serve as a surrogate coach for me. I gained 50lbs in my last pregnancy. It was too much, and even though (thankfully) Adrian wasn't too big, I believe that my weight gain and lack of conditioning lead me tired me out too quickly, and aided in taking the fight out of me. I can't have that happen this time - there will be no drugs to help me sleep, and I will need to get myself through from beginning to end.

I'm at about 24lbs gained right now. I started 10lbs up from my first pre-pregnancy weight. I'm in dangerous territory, with a little under 2 months to go, and I need to be smart from here on out. Tonight I walked for 30 minutes on the treadmill. Feeling a little better about myself, but only if I can keep this out. I wish I'd had the time for a group yoga class, or gotten myself back into swimming a few times a week, but if wishes were fishes.... Roughly 50-ish days to go. I can do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An End to the Haitus?

Crock Pot Italian Butter Chicken

Working from home