Did it work?

After my last post about work-life balance, I took a long break from blogging (and from reading blogs - my Google reader was up to ~800 posts. yikes!). Recently I bought a book about getting work and life to be in better harmony (review on that to come another day). So, did the time and perspective help any?

Unfortunately, nope.

I actually ended up doing that oh-so-embarrassing thing called practically killing myself (OK, maybe that's melodramatic, but I WAS told to go to the ER). Instead of life getting simpler, it got busier. And then I got pregnant. And anyone who's been there know how entirely awful first trimester can be. I won't list all of my woes, but suffice to say my body gave up on me.



Wednesday I had to leave work early - even got my darling husband to drive INTO DC (which he abhors) because I wasn't sure I'd make it on the metro. I was shaky, my chest felt funny, and I couldn't concentrate. Every other word I wrote looked like Klingon (while I don't actually know what that looks like). I tried getting an appointment with my old OB/MW office (even though I'm not going back there for this baby, more on that later too), but I made the mistake of mentioning that funny feeling in my chest. "Oh chest pains! You MUST go to the ER!" Pretty sure I wasn't dying, or having a heart attack.

So, self diagnosis: dehydration, low blood sugar, and exhaustion. Lovely, huh! So yesterday, I made up for it by laying around in bed all day and reading Sookie Stackhouse novels (finished #9 last night!). I did do some work in the AM, and made sure I ate healthily throughout the day. Drank plenty of water and went to bed early. One of the nice things about having a sitter is not having to worry about my kid. Yesterday reminded me of the perks of not being a SAHM.

From here on out, I will take better care of myself. I will sit down with my boss and discuss options for flexibility. If she cannot work with me on that, I will find a new job that values me as a worker AND as a person with a life. Because I like being able to have both.

So, perspective was earned. Balance? Still working on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An End to the Haitus?

Crock Pot Italian Butter Chicken

Working from home